15 March 2014

WSPR-Bone: Ham-Radio Software Installation 04

What you missed:

Now that the basic Debian system is running, we can install the software the computer was looking for. But let me give me some additional hints to the basic installation. As I understood, it seems that BeagleBone is changing from Angstrom to Debian. In my eyes a good move. But during this process information is not coordinated. They are spread over several pages. The main site seams to be beagleboard.org. Additional info could be found at circuitco.comarmhf.com and  ti.com. This could get quite confusing and you have to keep track from where you got images, infos etc.

That's the hardware: Ultimate 3 which requested for more WSPR-Software.

My main source in the last days had been elinux.org and I will stick to it.



So if you are looking for additionally help I always added to my question on Google "Debian". And that was a good one. I changed my search behavior and first looked at debian.org or superuser. The answers were most reliable. Beside that I am following the Beagleboard groups on Google were new development is discussed. And it is a fast changing world. In the last days there were alone over 60 mails with Robert Nelson concerning the new Debian image. That is also the reason why I will not post a step by step instruction. It will be outdated when I have finished my post. And one last advice: Your system will look for it, but when you want to download pre-compiled software you have to get software for the armhf environment. All other will fail. That is the reason why you have to compile most of the software by yourself. But that should not be a problem.

Let's see what I have running:

WSPR
 You will not find that software with apt-get or on another site. So please go to the original site of Joe Taylor K1JT. But you are not done. You need to go to the developer page where you will find the address to download the source code :
svn co svn://svn.berlios.de/wsjt/branches/wspr

Seem to look a bit strange, but wait. Just follow to the page of WJST Developers Guide. And here you have it all. The most important thing is to install the subversion software :
sudo apt-get install subversion
Done that, you could copy the line above to your terminal and the newest wspr software will be downloaded on you Beaglebone. No searching, no complains, just the last published version.

But you are not done yet: Have a look at Table 1. Package Matrix: x = Required, o = Optional.

These are the libraries you need before you can compile WSPR:

  • subversion
  • python2.7-dev 
  • python-numpy
  • python-imaging-tk
  • python-pmw
  • libportaudio2
  • libportaudio-dev
  • libsamplerate0-dev
  • gfortran 
  • portaudio19-dev
  • cl-fftw3
A great help was the site of George Smart M1GEO who proposed to load all libraries in on go:

sudo apt-get install subversion python2.7-dev python-numpy python-imaging-tk python-pmw \ libportaudio2 portaudio19-dev libsamplerate0-dev gfortran cl-fftw3 python-dev
 But I would not do that I made the necessary steps one at a time:
  • sudo apt-get install python2.7-dev 
  • sudo apt-get install python-numpy
  • sudo apt-get install python-imaging-tk
  • ...
I wanted to know what I was doing AND wanted to have control of the system and space. 
Remember it is df -h to check your remaining space :-)
When all is done packages are installed, just enter the wspr directory within your terminal and type:
./configure
The terminal will be filled with a lot of messages and one will be that it could not find the portaudio library although you loaded it before. So enter the lib directory and make a find -iname "libportaudio.so" and add the full path to your line:
./configure --with-portaudio-lib-dir=/usr/lib/yourpath
When everything went well and the configuration terminates with the appropriate message just type ./make and you are done.

Now you have to synchronize your computer with ntp or another program. Afterwards you can call the program ./wspr.




I must confess that I had a hell of a time getting the ./make to work. It was not part of the pre-compiled image and I didn't know that I had to install it the usual way: sudo apt-get install make . But normally you will have no problem.

Don't forget to add the sound card to your USB-Hub and connect a radio. WSPR is running on my BeagleBone for hours without any problems. Lately I discovered, that there is also a gui-less wspr within that package. Perhaps I find a way to extract the wspr-database entries the easy way.

Fldigi

Download the source at http://www.w1hkj.com/download.html . I found a version fldigi-3.21.79. But please check, there might be a newer version.  As always you will find an extensive help page for installing Fldigi on a Debian system.

You have to install some additional packages: libjpeg-dev, libxft-dev and build-dep. I didn't succeed to get fldigi from the repositories. So I did it the hard way. But without any problem.
  • autoreconf -vfi
  • ./configure
  • ./make
  • sudo make install
And you are done again.


Fldigi runs also without any problems. The sound card was recogniced and I was able to decode from the first minute. But don't forget to RTFM.

RTL-SDR

I will not repeat the steps, for they are always the same. Just go the osmocom page and you will find all relevant infos. Please before installing the rtl-sdr software you need the libusb-dev and cmake. Then follow the instructions :
  • cd rtl-sdr/ 
  • mkdir build 
  • cd build 
  • cmake ../ make 
  • sudo make install 
  • sudo ldconfig
and you are done. Later we will install a graphical interface and other software. But for today I think we have done our good deed of the day.

More to read:




Stay Tuned.